What is it?
The Aids and Equipment Initiative 2010-11 (0 to 12 years) is available to children under the age of 12 years who require an aid or equipment item to meet a disability need.
Requests can be made through Disability Services, Regional Service Centres directly or via Smart Services on 1800 177 120. All requests need to be assessed to ensure people will receive aid and / or equipment items that will enhance their independence.
What assistance is available through the 2010-11 Aids and Equipment Initiative (0 – 12 Years)?
Aid and equipment items that meet a disability need and enhance independence for the individual with the disability and / or their family. Items will be specific to the impact of the disability on the person and may include:
- Communication devices and software
- Wheelchairs and other mobility equipment
- Personal care equipment including shower chairs, commodes, hoists or bath boards
- Standing and/or walking frames
- A contribution of up to $5,000 per person depending on the needs of the child. If the item costs more than $5,000, Disability Services will contribute up to $5,000 toward the cost of the item.
Who will deliver the 2010-11 Aids and Equipment Initiative – 0 to 12 years?
All referrals must be through Disability Services Regional Service Centres. Eighteen Funded Non Government Service providers located across the state who already deliver non recurrent supports to people with a disability will purchase the aids and equipment for the 2010-11 Aids and Equipment Initiative (0 – 12 Years).
C:\Documents and Settings\lxbell\Desktop\Docs to Be Imported\fact-sheet.doc Families who are eligible to receive funded support through Disability Services
Families with a child aged between 0 and 12 years
Families requiring an aid or equipment item that will meet their child’s disability need
Respite or anything that has recurrent implications
- Aids and / or Equipment items to be used by a Service Provider
- Funding through the 2010-11 Aids and Equipment Initiative can not to be used to fund the ongoing service or maintenance of equipment
- Home Modifications
- Vehicles or vehicle modifications
- Items requested by anyone over 12 years of age
What is not available through the 2010-11 Aids and Equipment Initiative (0 – 12 Years)?